One the one hand Keszthely is a place of dignified tradition, a Festetics family legacy. On the other hand it has langos dough scented beaches and hosts pop music festivals, water sports, sailing tournaments, wine festivals and all pastimes aiding relaxation. Every year the crowd attracting B.My.Lake festival is held here.
Keszthely, according to some, is the capital of Lake Balaton and the ‘Hungarian’s sea’. These attributes have been given not only because of the size and traditions of the city, but also because, due the constantly developing infrastructure and tourist facilities, its stands out from the settlements of Lake Balaton.
Another interesting sight is the castle of Sümeg, which is also half an hour drive away. In addition to the beautifully restored castle and castle museum, horse riding facilities, equestrian programmes and medieval knight dinners also await you. The Croatian, Slovenian and Austrian borders can also be reached easily and fast.
The word Helikon carries with it the history of Keszthely, its cultural heritage, the spirituality of Count György Festetics.
The Helikon lifestyle is not only preserved through many names in Keszthely, but also by the New Helikon Celebrations arts festival organised every two years and various theatre and music events throughout the year.
● Helikon Beach
● Sailing harbour and school
● Yacht Club
● Fishing camp
● Boat and motor boat rental
● Numerous Lake Balaton programmes, beaches and services in the vicinity
● Restaurants (Fisherman’s tavern, restaurants, street food, fast food)
● House of Balaton Wine, Castle Cellar restaurant
● Music and dancing venues
● Billiards and darts
● Festetics Palace, Helikon Palace Museum
● Downtown museums (Doll Museum, Historical Wax Museum, Toy Museum, Snail Shell Parliament, Museum of Torture, Erotic Wax Museum, Star Castle Museum, Nostalgia Museum, Radio Museum, Marzipan Museum)
● Balaton Museum
● Butterfly and Exotic Reptile Museum
● Model Train exhibition
● Radio Museum
● Festetics Wildlife Park
● House of Nature
● Palm House, Bird Park and Aquarium
● Palace Park and Helikon Park
● City hospital
● Additional doctor and paediatric doctor surgeries
● Hévíz, world famous for its thermal water, is only a 15 minute distance by car